SOHO SPWG Minutes - October 1996

Chair: Piet Martens
Minutes: Bobby Doney


Vicente Domingo, Bernhard Fleck, Art Poland, Alan Gabriel, Jacques Charra, Julia Saba, Jim Lemen, Russ Howard, Sylvano Fineschi, Angela Ciaravella, Andrzej Fludra, Philippe Lemaire, Tony Galvin, Lyndsay Fletcher

Action items

All items closed. No new items.
Issue of changes in instrument thermal settings (LASCO, UVCS, CTOF) to be discussed at November SWT.

1. Review of action items

Item 9.2
Alan Gabriel presented reduced JOP002 data.
Item 5.1
No input received on list of SOL's. Piet Martens got so fed up with this recurring discussion that he has started lobbying SOL's. We have had Martin Huber, John Kohl, and Jim Lemen so far, and the presence of an SOL did improve focus on science. Meeting agrees to continue in this manner for the time being. Action item 5.1 is formally closed.

2. Boundary conditions for the coming months

No SVM memory dump in November.

Times for continuous contact not yet in DSN forecast.

3. Priorities for the coming month

3 a) Individual Instrument Plans

Flow studies, GIS testing, update for calibration of GIS.

November: loop campaign (collaboration with Univ. St. Andrews, Nov. 11 - CME Onset campaign (JOP003), CDS will be adjusting to EIT's schedule, SERTS launch testing.

Will limit use of motor: when GIS rastering slit begins to overheat. After Mon. Tues, will resume GIS operations

Pointing is will remain a problem; however, SUMER can scan N-S along the meridian, view the corona, participate in JOP002, and run time series program (N-S)

SW calibration, study of outflow velocities using doppler dimming techniques, spatial flat field (for next 2 weeks), supporting JOP002, Intercal01, JOP033.

UVCS has noticed an increase in temperature due to approaching perihelion. YH limits were being flagged so the spectometer's heater was turned off OCT 8 which registered a ~2-5 degree drop (noise decreased proportionally). In the future, all teams should be notified of intentional temperature changes.

		Some info for the near future:

      Date              Science Planner    Plan
Oct.  21 - Oct. 27	Larry Garder	   Calibration
Oct.  28 - Nov. 3	John Kohl	   Dynamics of equatorial regions with LASCO
Nov.   4 - Nov. 10	Silvano Fineschi   Doppler dimming and IPS
Nov.  11 - Nov. 17	Giannina Poletto   Serts on 11/13-14
Nov.  18 - Nov. 23	Angela Ciaravella  JOP009
Nov.  24 - Nov. 27	John Raymond	   Delta Sco, Beta Sco, Pi Sco, Nu Sco
Nov.  28 - Dec. 1	Ester Antonucci	   Recommend JOP2
Dec.   2 - Dec. 9	Silvio Giordano	   Recommend JOP2
Dec.  10 - Dec. 17	Ruth Esser	   Sami Solanki (JOP055)
Dec.  18 - Dec. 22	John Raymond

Upon John Kohl's earlier request JOP055 has been planned for Week 50 (Dec. 10-17). SUMER also suggested doing Omega1 Sco on November 24. UVCS would like to do CME observations between Oct. 28 - Nov. 3 (confirmed).

Synoptic program, polarization studies, and door closed calibrations. LASCO will investigate new synoptic programs if other instruments lend them telemetry bandwidth. Will also go to full images, but 2x2 summing-minimal cadence (1/2-1 hr) with a possible increase to 1-1.5 hrs.

Pixel variation of .05-.1 because of cycling the temperature controls, which they may try to resolve by changing temperature settings LASCO will notify other experiments of changes in thermal settings. Issue will be discussed at November SWT.

Supporting JOPs and coordinated observations. November: Plume study (shutterless mode). Week of momentum management: EIT=>45,90 degrees. Most EIT reps will be at the Marseilles meeting so Elaine Einfalt will plan EIT science for that week; request to have science plans firmly in place before the start of the week. Barbara Thompson will be the science planner for the rest of November.

Will hold its monthly planning meeting Tuesday, OCT 22, 4:30 Local time. Helioseismology will be the theme (if you have requests, please get them in early: email, telecom, or tell your local MDI representative).

Support of SERTS testing and flight testing.

Craig DeForest is the SOL for NOV 4-10

JOP052 on NOV 10,11 is dependent on SUMER but that is slowly changing as CDS & EIT are showing more interest.

MTOF and STOF nominal. No changes foreseen for November. CTOF may upload S/W patch at the end of November.

Nominal. Will continue normal observing program.

3 b) Calibration plans (Philppe Lemaire)

Intercal9 is in conflict because of SUMER pointing problem. Will be reworked.

Intercal2 will focus on sun center.

3 c) Joint Plans

Input from various sources into November calendar was reviewed. For the November program, see the Web pages.

JOPS Status

Update received for JOP003. Several JOPs will have to be rewritten because of SUMER situation.

5. New JOPS

No new JOPs received this month (!)

6. AOB

6 a) SOHO Publications

For January Solar Physics issue, the present situation is:
	Accepted:	2 ERNE
			2 CDS
			2 SUMER 

	Pending for
	 Revision:	1 CDS
			1 LASCO

	to be submitted
	 today/monday:	2 VIRGO
			2 MDI

It was decided that the accepted papers will go ahead and appear in Part I of the "Solar Physics" January special edition of SoHO first results. Those that were not completed in time will most likely be in Part II expected in April (deadline is end of November).

6 b) Small data workshops

The Yohkoh community was very positive on the proposal presented at the September SPWG for regular Yohkoh-SoHO workshops. For SOHO, CDS and UVCS have submitted names for the workshops' "steering committee". EIT, SUMER, MDI, and LASCO are kindly requested to appoint representatives for the "steering committee".

6 c) Target Dependent Coordinated Observations

There should be a backup plan in the unfortunate event that the sun "doesn't cooperate." It was concluded that the JOP coordinator should have the additional burden of coming up with a back-up plan, to be worked out in detail at the weekly meeting. For the upcoming IACG campaign there will be an X-ray Bright Point Study with the same target.

6 d) Planning towards the end of the week

Several experiments have commented that detailed IAP's for a full week are often difficult to submit for the weekly meeting because the details of coordinated observations towards the end of the week are not certan yet. It was decided that the Tuesday daily meeting will be slightly extended to complete the detailed planning for the rest of that week. Instrument IAP's submitted for the weekly meeting thus no longer have to included all the details for the latter part of the week, just the parts that are certain, like synoptic plans.

6 e) Location for SPWG meetings

A large majority preferred to keep the meetings at the EAF.