SOHO SPWG Minutes - October
Chair: Piet Martens
Minutes: Bobby Doney
Vicente Domingo, Bernhard Fleck, Art Poland, Alan Gabriel,
Jacques Charra, Julia Saba, Jim Lemen, Russ Howard, Sylvano
Fineschi, Angela Ciaravella, Andrzej Fludra, Philippe Lemaire,
Tony Galvin, Lyndsay Fletcher
All items closed. No new items.
Issue of changes in instrument thermal settings
(LASCO, UVCS, CTOF) to be discussed at November SWT.
1. Review of action items
- Item 9.2
- Alan Gabriel presented reduced JOP002 data.
- Item 5.1
- No input received on list of SOL's. Piet Martens got so fed up
with this recurring discussion that he has started lobbying SOL's.
We have had Martin Huber, John Kohl, and Jim Lemen so far, and
the presence of an SOL did improve focus on science. Meeting
agrees to continue in this manner for the time being. Action item
5.1 is formally closed.
2. Boundary conditions for the coming months
No SVM memory dump in November.
Times for continuous contact not yet in DSN forecast.
3. Priorities for the coming month
3 a) Individual Instrument Plans
- Flow studies, GIS testing, update for calibration of
November: loop campaign (collaboration with Univ.
St. Andrews, Nov. 11 - CME Onset campaign (JOP003),
CDS will be adjusting to EIT's schedule, SERTS launch
Will limit use of motor: when GIS rastering slit begins
to overheat. After Mon. Tues, will resume GIS operations
- Pointing is will remain a problem; however, SUMER can scan
N-S along the meridian, view the corona, participate in
JOP002, and run time series program (N-S)
- SW calibration, study of outflow velocities using
doppler dimming techniques, spatial flat field (for
next 2 weeks), supporting JOP002, Intercal01, JOP033.
UVCS has noticed an increase in temperature due to approaching
perihelion. YH limits were being flagged so the spectometer's
heater was turned off OCT 8 which registered a ~2-5 degree
drop (noise decreased proportionally). In the future, all
teams should be notified of intentional temperature changes.
Some info for the near future:
Date Science Planner Plan
Oct. 21 - Oct. 27 Larry Garder Calibration
Oct. 28 - Nov. 3 John Kohl Dynamics of equatorial regions with LASCO
Nov. 4 - Nov. 10 Silvano Fineschi Doppler dimming and IPS
Nov. 11 - Nov. 17 Giannina Poletto Serts on 11/13-14
Nov. 18 - Nov. 23 Angela Ciaravella JOP009
Nov. 24 - Nov. 27 John Raymond Delta Sco, Beta Sco, Pi Sco, Nu Sco
Nov. 28 - Dec. 1 Ester Antonucci Recommend JOP2
Dec. 2 - Dec. 9 Silvio Giordano Recommend JOP2
Dec. 10 - Dec. 17 Ruth Esser Sami Solanki (JOP055)
Dec. 18 - Dec. 22 John Raymond
Upon John Kohl's earlier request JOP055 has been planned for Week 50
(Dec. 10-17). SUMER also suggested doing Omega1 Sco on November 24.
UVCS would like to do CME observations between Oct. 28 - Nov. 3
- Synoptic program, polarization studies, and door closed calibrations.
LASCO will investigate new synoptic programs if other instruments lend them
telemetry bandwidth. Will also go to full images, but 2x2 summing-minimal
cadence (1/2-1 hr) with a possible increase to 1-1.5 hrs.
Pixel variation of .05-.1 because of cycling the temperature controls,
which they may try to resolve by changing temperature settings
LASCO will notify other experiments of changes in thermal settings.
Issue will be discussed at November SWT.
- Supporting JOPs and coordinated observations. November: Plume study
(shutterless mode). Week of momentum management: EIT=>45,90 degrees.
Most EIT reps will be at the Marseilles meeting so Elaine Einfalt
will plan EIT science for that week; request to have science plans
firmly in place before the start of the week.
Barbara Thompson will be the science planner for the rest of November.
- Will hold its monthly planning meeting Tuesday, OCT 22, 4:30 Local time.
Helioseismology will be the theme (if you have requests, please get them
in early: email, telecom, or tell your local MDI representative).
Support of SERTS testing and flight testing.
Craig DeForest is the SOL for NOV 4-10
JOP052 on NOV 10,11 is dependent on SUMER but that is slowly changing as
CDS & EIT are showing more interest.
- MTOF and STOF nominal. No changes foreseen for November. CTOF may upload
S/W patch at the end of November.
- Nominal. Will continue normal observing program.
3 b) Calibration plans (Philppe Lemaire)
Intercal9 is in conflict because of SUMER pointing problem. Will
Intercal2 will focus on sun center.
3 c) Joint Plans
Input from various sources into November calendar was reviewed.
For the November program, see the Web pages.
Update received for JOP003. Several JOPs will have to
be rewritten because of SUMER situation.
5. New JOPS
No new JOPs received this month (!)
6 a) SOHO Publications
For January Solar Physics issue, the present
Accepted: 2 ERNE
Revision: 1 CDS
to be submitted
today/monday: 2 VIRGO
It was decided that the accepted papers will go ahead and appear in
Part I of the "Solar Physics" January special edition of SoHO first
results. Those that were not completed in time will most likely
be in Part II expected in April (deadline is end of November).
6 b) Small data workshops
The Yohkoh community was very positive on the proposal presented at
the September SPWG for regular Yohkoh-SoHO workshops. For SOHO, CDS
and UVCS have submitted names for the workshops' "steering committee".
EIT, SUMER, MDI, and LASCO are kindly requested to appoint
representatives for the "steering committee".
6 c) Target Dependent Coordinated Observations
There should be a backup plan in the unfortunate event that the sun
"doesn't cooperate." It was concluded that the JOP coordinator should
have the additional burden of coming up with a back-up plan, to be
worked out in detail at the weekly meeting. For the upcoming IACG
campaign there will be an X-ray Bright Point Study with the same
6 d) Planning towards the end of the week
Several experiments have commented that detailed IAP's for a full week
are often difficult to submit for the weekly meeting because the
details of coordinated observations towards the end of the week are
not certan yet. It was decided that the Tuesday daily meeting will
be slightly extended to complete the detailed planning for the rest
of that week. Instrument IAP's submitted for the weekly meeting thus
no longer have to included all the details for the latter part of
the week, just the parts that are certain, like synoptic plans.
6 e) Location for SPWG meetings
A large majority preferred to keep the meetings at the EAF.