Chair: Piet Martens (ESA/SOC) Notes: Laura Allen (NASA/SOC) Attendees: Bernhard Fleck (ESA), Joe Gurman (EIT), Rock Bush (MDI), Chris St. Cyr (LASCO/EIT), Andrzej Fludra (CDS), John Kohl (UVCS), Julia Saba (MDI), Russ Howard (LASCO), Harold Benefield (FOT)

1. Review of action items

- Info on Whole Sun Month After some discussion, it was decided to keep "Whole Sun Month" in August. At first, Andrzej Fludra brought up the point that many people are on vacation in August and it may be a lot of work for people in August to have "Whole Sun Month" then. However, other people mentioned that if most of the "Whole Sun Month" was a sort of "modified synoptic".. it may be good to do that in August while people are on vacation. Moreover, September and October are prime months for joint observing with Ground Based Observatories in the Northern hemisphere, and we do not want to preempt a large number of collaborations. EIT FPSS Offset: Some discussion about perhaps offpointing by 25 arcminutes on one limb, then proceeding to the next limb and offpoining another 25 arcminutes. FOT, SOC and Project Scientist will await detailed plan from EIT team

2. Boundary conditions for the coming month

- MDI Continuous: Dec 11-15 - Submode changes: changes involving CDS need to scheduled well in advance - TR maintenance and memory dumps scheduled for December 1 - No long contact on Christmas day and New Years, contacts will be just long enough to dump the SSR (people can still send commands during SSR dump so should not be a problem).

3. Preview of future months

- See Monthly Calendar at http://sohowww/operations/schedule/calendar.html Some discussion on the next roll which has moved up in date to April of 1998. All inputs for next roll maneuver from the science community MUST be communicated to the SOCs the day before the January SPWG meeting. Inputs received will be discussed at the SPWG. SOC will then resolve any conflicts among the instrument teams (which there was last time..), then provide input to the FOT by January 31, 1997.

Priorities for the coming month

a) Individual instrument plans MDI -- during continuous will be running dynamics program at 30 second cadence doppler and continuum images. Will also be performing calibrations in the next month EIT -- Blinkers study. When active region 8100 is on the disk will run CME watch at 195 and 171 angstroms (high science priority). LASCO -- will be doing door closed calibrations during 29 November maneuvers for C1. High priority is to re-make Christmas movie of galactic center with Submode #2 telemetry. CDS -- Priority is three different types of active region loop studies. Variability of active region loops on the limb, limb active regions, and picking up and active region at sun center and following it across the disk. CDS will also be changing weekend operations slightly to try to simplify things: this implies less operations intensive studies such as quiet sun monitoring and coronal hole spectra. CDS will not be available for JOPs on the weekends in general; however exceptions will be made for occassional important JOPs. UVCS - priority on MHD wave observations jointly with CDS. Would like to correlate disk events seen by CDS with limb events seen by UVCS (see joint plans below). b) Intercalibration activities Intercalibration 001 planned for early December. c) Joint observing plans January 1998 -- Observations of MDH waves (UVCS and CDS). EIT could probably run their microjet campaign as support for this. MDI points out that they will be in continuous contact starting on Jan 9. Perhaps if they wanted to do a "test run" of these prior to MDI continuous, otherwise MDI will not be able to support.

5. JOPs status

- Naming convention for GBO's Bernhard Fleck has gone through all entries of the campaign database and added the keyword GBO to all entries with ground-based participation. He has homogeneized the naming of the various observatories: Kitt Peak (instead of KP, NSKP, ...) Sac Peak (instead of SP, SPO, ...) Big Bear (instead of BBSO, BBO, ..) VTT Tenerife GCT Tenerife La Palma

6. New JOPs

- JOP 071 SOHO Observations in Support of the HAO/NSO/Michigan/Rhodes College/Lindau Experiments at the February 26 1998 Eclipse - JOP 072 High Cadence Chromospheric and Coronal Dynamics Studies with SOHO and TRACE - JOP 073 Blinkers A suggestion was made to have a "microcommittee" for eclipse observations. Piet Martens will send a message to "Solar News" saying basically if you want support for eclipse observations with SOHO you must reply before December 18 (the date of the next SPWG).

7. AOB

* SOLs -- Joe Gurman brought up the discussion of Science Operations Leaders. His feeling was that some SOLs are not doing an effective job at running the daily meetings and the SOC can do an equally effective, if not better job. It seemed like some SOLs were scheduled "just because we needed one" and contributed little to the discussion of JOPs and just lengthened the meetings. Others pointed out that there had been some highly effective and involved SOLs. John Kohl pointed out that during the SIMs, the SOLs were more or less defining JOPs (not running meetings), but he still likes the SOL idea. Others pointed out that, if the science community wants SOLs, the SOLs should start volunteering rather than Piet Martens constantly nagging people in order to "fill in the calendar". Laura Allen commented that she has seen both good and bad extremes. She added that it sometimes is helpful to her to have the SOL run the meeting since it sometimes gets busy and there is no longer a "third SOC" to help. The last person (S. Adams) that was hired to help out did not work out well and is now employed elsewhere. Conclusion: - Keep scheduling SOLs at least until a third SOC is hired and has received job training. - SOLs should feel free to consult with the SOC, and the SOL will have the OPTION as to whether or not they want to run the daily planning meeting (or contribute in another manner such as helping with planning..). * Julia Saba remarked on a TRACE Sim that will occur in December: (Information from Ted Tarbell) Dec 1-5: TRACE Operations Sim (last one running the flight observatory) Dec 1: Launch Dec 2: Instrument turn-on Dec 3: Instrument commissioning & Scientific observing Dec 4-5: Scientific Observing Adjourned: 3:45 pm