SOHO SPWG Minutes
Friday, November 17, 2000
1. Review of action items
From the last SPWG meeting, there were the following items:
1) On A. Gabriel/A. Kosovichev: CDS part for JOP134 to be defined
No CDS part for JOP134 has been defined
2. Boundary conditions
* No maneuvers are planned for December.
* MDI Continuous for December:
MDI Continuous starts December 06 at 03:40 UT
MDI Continuous ends December 11 at 06:20 UT
Submode #5 until December 18/19, then Submode #6 all month.
3. JOPs status
JOP135 Filament Structure and Dynamics: H alpha Doppler, HeI and HeII
Observations, EIT/LASCO/Big Bear/Kitt Peak,
POC: Sara Martin/J. Gurman(EOF)
for an example of an interesting phenomenon that may be scrutinized
during this JOP.
MDI can support with 96 minute cadence magnetograms as a minimum.
If possible, 1 minute cadence magnetograms will be taken.
4. Priorities for the coming month
a) Joint observing plans
* Nov 6-Dec 8: MMOP008 Moreton/EIT Observing Campaign, (#6636)
Helio Research/Solar Radio Spectrograph of Porto/
Brasilian Solar Spectroscope/MCCD Imaging Spectrograph
Multichannel Flare Spectrograph (Czech Republic)
POC: Marta Rovira (email@example.com)
* Nov 19-Dec 21 JOP129 The Gravitational Focusing Cone of Interstellar Helium
(#6610), POC: Eberhard Mobius (Eberhard.Moebius@unh.edu)
SOHO: CDS/SUMER/EIT/UVCS/SWAN/CELIAS SEM and PM
* Dec 20-24 JOP135 Filament Structure and Dynamics: H alpha Doppler,
HeI and HeII Observations, POC: Sara Martin/Joe Gurman(EOF),
EIT/LASCO/Helio Research/Big Bear/Kitt Peak
b) Individual instrument plans
* Dec 1-18/19 SUMER operations: Oslo AR observations (with CDS), JOP129,
then possible extensions with offlimb REFSPECS (w/UVCS)
super-refspec on both detectors. Then door closed.
See note below about CDS 24-hour blinker study on December 19.
* Dec 14-23 UVCS SOHO-Sun-Ulysses quadrature, G. Poletto.
* Dec 24-Jan 9 UVCS East limb CME Watch with NEAR
* Dec 10-13 UVCS Stellar Observations, Theta Oph
* Dec 19 CDS 24-hour blinker program (BLINK_NE)
The CDS blinker program was moved forward one day in hopes that SUMER
would be closing doors on the 18th instead of 19th December. This would
allow EIT to participate in the campaign in Submode #6 and perform an EIT
shutterless operations program.
c) Intercalibration activities
5. Preview of future months
* See the Monthly Calendar at:
* Next SPWG:
MONDAY December 11, 2pm due to SWT and AGU meeting in mid-December.
* Suggested dates for MEDOC campaign #7: Two weeks in mid-May - mid-June
Last week May/first week June is preferred, but:
UVCS is planning Ulysses quadrature studies in this time period.
MDI has less flexibility during continuous contact (but no manoeuvres)
Note after meeting: 3-month continuous may be moved to start 28 February
* GENESIS launch slipped - new timeline: June to August (currently
scheduled for 6 June)
* REMINDER: DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance.
Keep this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar observations that require NRT, etc.