SOHO SPWG Minutes
Friday July 19, 2002
1. Review of action items
2. Boundary conditions
* The next MM/SK maneuver will most likely be in September.
* MDI's next continuous contact will be August 28 - September 2.
Submode 6 until August 21 at 16 UT, then submode 5 until
August 27 at 16 UT, when we go back to submode 6.
* Commanding outlook: See AOB section.
* The CELIAS/SEM launch is on schedule for a target launch date of August 7.
* An offpoint for EIT/MDI/LASCO will be performed on August 20.
The current strawman timeline can be discussed at the end of the meeting
* MEDOC Campaign #10 is planned for October 21 - November 3
3. Priorities for the coming month (W31-35, July 29-Sep 1)
a) Joint observing plans and campaigns
* April 25 on JOP159 CME's in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS,
POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
* Jul 20-26 JOP150 Dynamics and Seismology of the Solar Atmosphere,
POC: Alexander Kosovichev (sasha@quake.Stanford.EDU)
EIT has been asked to add one or two synoptic sets between 0900-1700.
This will be in collaboration with the shutterless campaign (see below).
MDI will try to be in high res field of view for JOP150.
* Jul 21 Flare Build-Up and Energy Release in AR's (#6878),
CDS/TRACE/VLA/RHESSI, 15:00-19:00 UT, POC: Rob Wilson
* Jul 24 EIT Shutterless, EIT/CDS/TRACE, 1700-1940 UT
* Jul 27-Aug 1 JOP160 Emergence and Evolution of Young Active Regions,
MDI/EIT/THEMIS/TRACE, Local POC: Sarah Gregory,
POC: Daniele Spadaro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Jul 27-Aug 2 CDS/HIDA Collaboration, 22-08 UT, POC: David Brooks
The above times are Japanese daytime in July; actual duration is about
8 hours per day.
* Jul 31 EIT Shutterless (Backup), EIT/CDS
* Aug 4-12 High Cadence AR Studies, RHESSI/SacPeak/CDS/TRACE/MaxMill,
POC: Luca Teriaca/Gianna Cauzzi
Target declared by MaxMillennium Chief Observer. TRACE will give some support.
* Aug 7 CELIAS/SEM underflight (+/- 7 days)
CDS will be taking full disk, full spectrum. We're expecting a new
ICAL writeup from Don McMullin before the launch.
* Aug 12-31 Extended Effects of Flares, CDS/EIT/LASCO/TRACE(TBC)/RHESSI,
POC: Carl Foley
TRACE has not recorded any request yet(?). Carl has been notified.
* Aug 18 Flare Build-Up and Energy Release in AR's (#6878),
CDS/TRACE/VLA/RHESSI, 14:30-21:30 UT, POC: Rob Wilson
* August 20 SOHO offpoint
Flare Build-Up and Energy Release in AR's (#6878),
TRACE/VLA/RHESSI, 15:00-22:00 UT, POC: Rob Wilson
* Aug 22 Flare Build-Up and Energy Release in AR's (#6878),
CDS/TRACE/VLA/RHESSI, 14:30-21:30 UT POC: Rob Wilson
* Aug 28-Sep 6 High Cadence Studies of Active Regions, CDS/BBSO/RHESSI,
16-24 UT, POC: Peter Gallagher & David Williams
* Sep 6-13 JOP155 Polar Coronal Jets at the Declining Phase of the
Solar Cycle, UVCS/EIT/LASCO/CDS/TRACE,
POC: Danuta Dobrzycka
Times for EIT 304, TRACE program must be specified.
Targets of opportunity for the whole period:
* JOP136/MMOP009 Default RHESSI collaboration (#6850)
* JOP153/MMOP003 Major Flare Alert
Campaign number 6850 has been set aside for "individual instrument studies"
that select their AR target [partially] influenced by the RHESSI target. Note
that the RHESSI target will be observed by a significant number of ground
based observatories, so chances for serendipitous co-observations are larger
when selecting the RHESSI target.
NOTE: We will generate campaign numbers in advance for Major Flare Watches
(JOP153) as well. The NEXT Major Flare Watch campaign no. is:
* See also the Monthly Calendar at:
b) Individual instrument plans
(See the SOHO monthly calendar for weekly plans)
See their request diary for details
* Jul 24 EIT Shutterless, EIT/CDS/TRACE
* Jul 30/31 EIT Shutterless Backup Day (TBC), EIT/CDS
EIT bakeout after shutterless, before SEM rocket.
LASCO is doing high-cadence polariser sequences for one month, starting July
5. EIT+C3+C2 drops 1 image/hr each to allow for this. An extra C2 will
be dropped during support for JOP160.
c) Intercalibration activities
Last Intercal 1: June 12
* Week 32/33 Intercal 1, CDS/EIT, POC: CDS Planner (TBC)
* Next SPWG: Friday 23 at 2pm in EAF
* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance. Keep
this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.
* If anyone has projects that require high-cadence MDI support,
now is a good time to ask! If you need MDI data, make sure you request
* Commanding outlook
- These times are subject to change
- More details available if wanted:
Week 31 - July 28 - August 4: Morning/early afternoon gaps on Monday
through Thursday and Sunday, Friday has
D27 all day, Saturday is good, D27 for
part of the day on Monday and Tuesday.
Week 32 - August 5 - August 11: Monday and Thursday are good, Tuesday
and Wednesday have D27, Friday through
Sunday have large gaps around lunchtime.
Week 33 - August 12 - August 18: Monday has D27 in the afternoon, Tuesday and
Thursday and Sunday are good, Wednesday
and Friday and Saturday have gaps until
around 17 UT then are good.
Week 34 - August 19 - August 25: Monday has D27, Tuesday and Sunday are good,
Wednesday through Saturday have gaps until
around 17 UT then are good.
Week 35 - August 26 - Sept 1: Monday has D27 in the afternoon, Tuesday
through Friday and Sunday are good, Saturday
has a D/L only station around lunchtime.