SOHO SPWG Minutes
Friday September 27, 2002
1. Review of action items
* On everyone: Evaluate SOHO planning procedures (meetings, other
means of communication, etc) for the future. To be discussed at the
2. Boundary conditions
* The next MM/SK maneuver will be October 10. Fuel estimate: 0.2211 kg
Safing and recovery on adjacent days (Oct 9 & 11).
* No MDI continuous contact in October
* Oct 14 Columbus Day (Holiday in US)
* Oct 19 GSFC network upgrade, outage 14 UT - 20 UT (10am-6pm local)
* Oct 27 US & European Daylight savings ends, GSFC local = UT - 5h
Submode 6 until October 21, 13 UT, then...
Submode 5 until November 1, 15 UT, then...
Submode 6 for the foreseeable future (SUMER mini-campaign March/April 2003)
NOTE: Luca Teriaca has asked for SUMER support Nov 16 - Dec 3 (TBC)
* MEDOC Campaign #10 is planned for October 21 - November 3
* Commanding outlook: See AOB section.
3. Priorities for the coming month (W41-44; October 6 - November 3)
a) Joint observing plans and campaigns
* Mar/Apr 2003 JOP161 Comprehensive Footpoint Study,
SUMER/CDS/EIT/MDI/TRACE, POC: Scott McIntosh
CDS, EIT, TRACE, MDI agree to a test run (time TBD - early in 2003).
MDI High Rate may be requested for the real campaign.
Some details in the JOP will be filled in, e.g:
EIT & CDS will most likely run Intercal 1 program.
* Oct 12,14,17 JOP100 Active Region DEM for Heating & Magnetography Studies,
CDS/EIT/VLA/MDI/TRACE, ~16:30-21:30 UT, POC: Jeff Brosius
TRACE program must be specified (one EUV filter)
* Oct 21-27 JOP157 Bright Points in AR, CDS/EIT/MDI/TRACE/RHESSI,
8-18 UT, POC: Brigitte Schmieder
JOP158 The Fast Solar Wind from 1.05 to 4 Ro,
CDS/UVCS/SUMER/EIT/LASCO, 18-24 UT daily,
POC: Alan Gabriel & Ester Antonucci
JOP131 Spectro-polarimetric Diagnostics of Prominences and
POC: Brigitte Schmieder
The observational details (most instruments!) need to be specified for
JOPs 157 & 131.
Note: Some TRACE absorption starts Oct 13.
* Oct 28-Nov 3 JOP112 Coordinated SOHO-Ulysses Elemental Abundance Study,
CDS/LASCO/SUMER/UVCS, POC: Susanna Parenti & Giannina Poletto
Note: SUMER closes door on Oct 31.
* JOP159 CME's in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS(*),
POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
Targets of opportunity for the whole period:
* JOP136/MMOP009 Default RHESSI collaboration (#6850)
* JOP153/MMOP003 Major Flare Alert
Campaign number 6850 has been set aside for "individual instrument studies"
that select their AR target [partially] influenced by the RHESSI target. Note
that the RHESSI target will be observed by a significant number of ground
based observatories, so chances for serendipitous co-observations are larger
when selecting the RHESSI target.
NOTE: MaxMillennium targets are valid from the time it is announced
until a the next announcement (not *really* for a set 24-hour UT
interval). However, all we can do is interpret it as the "most likely
target for tomorrow's UT day".
NOTE: None of the SOHO SWT members objected to a continuation of the
current regime of Major Flare Watch participation. The alert system
will be left in place; ANOTHER REVIEW WILL BE MADE AFTER 3 MORE
CALLS. Note that each instrument is free to modify their response by
contacting SOCs and/or Dick Canfield for relevant changes to
TRACE will consider changing it's level of support for future Major
NOTE: We will generate campaign numbers in advance for Major Flare Watches
(JOP153) as well. The NEXT Major Flare Watch campaign no. is: 6892
b) Intercalibration activities
Last Intercal 1: September 18
* Week 42 Intercal 1 (TBC), CDS/EIT, POC: CDS/EIT Planners
c) Individual instrument plans
(See the SOHO monthly calendar for weekly plans)
See their request diary for details
Oct 9 or 23 EIT Shutterless
Oct 16 UVCS Star Observations
Interested in collaborating with UVCS on polar coronal hole observations
* Next SPWG: Friday 25 October at 2pm in the EAF
* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance. Keep
this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.
* If anyone has projects that require high-cadence MDI support,
now is a good time to ask! If you need MDI data, make sure you request
* Commanding outlook
- These times are subject to change
- More details available if wanted:
Week 41 - Oct 7-Oct 13 : Gap then D27 on Monday; D27 all day on Tuesday,
Wednesday, and Saturday; Thursday is good and
we have maneuvers; Friday has a large gap in the
afternoon; Sunday is good.
Week 42 - Oct 14-Oct 20: Large gaps on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday;
D27 most of the day on Tuesday, Thursday, and
Sunday; Friday is good; testing on Saturday.
Week 43 - Oct 21-Oct 27: D27 before or after a large gap on Monday and
Tuesday; Wednesday and Thursday are good; large
gaps on Friday and Saturday; D27 part of the day
Week 44 - Oct 28-Nov 3: Large afternoon gaps on Monday and Tuesday; downlink
only station on Tuesday morning before the gap;
Wednesday and Thursday have D27 all day; Friday is
good; D27 for part of the day on Saturday and Sunday