SOHO SPWG Minutes
SPWG FINAL MINUTES
Friday 22 August 2003
1. Boundary conditions
* SOHO is now rolled by 180 degrees relative to solar North.
* NOTE ADDED AFTER MEETING:
The program office would like to perform a test to lock on low rate
telemetry using the low gain antenna on a 26 meter station,
preferably before the fall keyhole.
Avoiding the MDI continuous contacts, sticking to workdays, and
requiring that the test is to be performed at DSS-16 means we have
the following possibilities, the final decision is TBD:
Tuesday 9/2 1800 0105
Thursday 9/4 1555 2055
Friday 9/5 2025 0040
Tuesday 9/9 1540 0140
Wednesday 9/10 1540 1820
Please, take this into account if you want to schedule non-interruptible
* The estimated dates for the next 3 keyhole periods are given below.
For estimated keyhole dates through 2006 follow this link
* Sep 22 High Rate on 26m stations ends, TBC
* Sep 27 High Rate on 34m stations ends, TBC
* Oct 11 High Rate on 34m stations starts, TBC
* Oct 16 High Rate on 26m stations starts, TBC
* Dec 23 High Rate on 26m stations ends, TBC
* Dec 26 High Rate on 34m stations ends, TBC
* Jan 4, 2004 High Rate on 34m stations starts, TBC
* Jan 8, 2004 High Rate on 26m stations starts, TBC
* Mar 15, 2004 High Rate on 26m stations ends, TBC
* Mar 19,2004 High Rate on 34m stations ends, TBC
* Apr 2, 2004 High Rate on 34m stations starts, TBC
* Apr 7, 2004 High Rate on 26m stations starts, TBC
With the current schedule, it looks like the September/October
keyhole will have no data loss (VC0/1), with a maximum gap between
contacts of less than 11 hours (10h45min).
NOTE: No uplink is scheduled for September 30. Downlink only.
NOTE: There will be very little VC2/3 (MDI high rate), even to
the extent that the 96min magnetograms cannot be counted on all
The situation looks much worse for the following two keyhole
periods, due to the needs of the Mars missions.
Unless a Major Flare Watch is in progress, TRACE will be doing full
disk mosaics if/when EIT is not able to do synoptic sets due to
* The next manoeuvre and roll is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday
October 7 (near the middle of the keyhole).
* MDI continuous contacts
Aug 27-Sep 1 MDI Continuous Contact
Sep 10-Nov 23 MDI 60-Day Continuous Contact
NOTE: It seems impossible to bridge the gap between the 5-day CC and
the planned 60-day period. The next keyhole period comes right in
the middle of the planned 60-day continuous period. The period after
the keyhole (i.e. Oct 16-Nov 23) should be just about as continuous
as a "normal" 60-day period (a few gaps will occur, though).
MDI may want to use some days with good NRT just before the next
keyhole to perform a tuning reload and/or a leg alignment (to be
coordinated closer in time).
MDI plans for the August 5 day CC are to run a Full Disk Magnetic
Doppler campaign. MDI plans on doing Full Disk Doppler for the 30
day CC period (before AND after the HGA keyhole) plus some second
variable. Before the keyhole (10-22 Sept), MDI will do FD Doppler
and another variable that is negotiable based on scientific merit.
After the keyhole, MDI will do FD Doppler and some other variable
that is TBD by the SOI team, the default plan is full disk cropped
doppler and magnetic (p30vr_fd_m1).
* Submodes: Submode 6 for the foreseeable future, except the following
submode 5 periods:
Aug 21-27 SUMER star observations, JOP169
Submmode changes will be 18 UT (August 21) and 16 UT (August 27).
Nov 17-30 MEDOC Campaign #12 (TBC)
Nov 24-Dec 7 Ulysses Quadrature Observations, UVCS/ SUMER/Ulysses
Submode change dates/times for the Nov 17-Dec 7 period are not
determined. UVCS starts Ulysses Quadrature observations November 23,
but the first two days will be shared with star observations.
The EIT Shutterless #13 observations (which require submode 6)
originally scheduled for November 26 and December 3 will be
postponed until after the December 10 shutterless segment.
* EIT Bakeout/CalRock/Shutterless/Other:
* Sep 13,17,21 EIT Shutterless #12 Segments 1, 2, Backup, TBC
* Sep 26- Oct 2 EIT Bakeout (tentative)
* Dec 10 EIT Shutterless #13, Segment 1, TBC
EIT Shutterless #13, Segment 2 and Backup is being rescheduled.
NOTE: All shutterless and bakeout dates are obviously TBD with keyhole
operations. Presumably, bakeouts will be scheduled preferentially
during periods with poor DSN coverage.
TRACE will support the EIT bakeout with full disk mosaics, and will
also support the shutterless runs.
* Commanding outlook: See AOB section.
NOTE: No uplink scheduled for September 30.
* Long-term DSN outlook: November 1, 2003 - March 1, 2004 is a very
heavily subscribed time for DSN. We may see less contact time than
we are used to.
* No atmospheric absorption expected for TRACE at this time until October.
* Andrzej Fludra will take over as PI for CDS on September 1.
2. Priorities for the coming month & more
a) Joint observing plans and campaigns
* Jul,Aug JOP146 Fine Temperature and Density Structure of
Coronal Loops in a Bipolar Active Region,
CDS/EIT/TRACE, POC: Stein Haugan
This has been requested by Joan Schmelz as a target of opportunity
JOP. TRACE and CDS have agreed to support it for an as yet
undetermined number of runs. Two runs have been performed:
August 13 & 14 and August 21 & 22.
EIT support is likely to be limited to CME watch, but might add a
couple of synoptic sets if LASCO schedule allows (not likely while
LASCO Venus observations continue).
* Jul 28-Sep 2 Observations of Superior Conjunction of Venus,
LASCO/GBO's, POC: Kevin Schenk
Short exposure high cadence campaign, using color filters. 30 minutes
of dedicated NRT is needed near 17-18 UT every observing day.
* Aug 16-19 Coordinated Observations Using the Radio Source 3C228
(#6975), UVCS/VLA, POC: Steve Cranmer & Michael Uzzo
* Aug 25-31 JOP169 Evolving Active Region Loops, POC: Harry Warren,
SUMER support is possible from Aug 22 to 27 around the Leo stars. Fine
planning to be discussed with P. Lemaire.
CDS studies for JOP169 have been defined and tested; ready to run.
TRACE observing sequences have also been worked out with Harry Warren.
* Aug 25-Sep 6 Solar Bolometric Imager balloon launch, SBI/MDI,
POC: Peter Foukal (email@example.com)
--> This is a one-day flight within the time frame specified,
centered on 18 UT.
MDI will support with 96 minute Mag/Continuum when DSN permits.
* Sep 7-27 JOP165 High Cadence AR Oscillations Center-Limb,
POC: Dipankar Banerjee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Sep 13,17,21 EIT Shutterless #12 Segments 1, 2, Backup,
* Sep 18-30 Moving Magnetic Features Around Sunspots,
POC: Mandy Hagenaar (email@example.com), Ted Tarbell
NOTE: Next keyhole period starts approximately September 22 (26m
stations) and September 27 (loss of high rate on 34m stations). JOP165
runs up to 10 days before and after the middle date of the EIT
NOTE: An EIT bakeout may be in conflict w/JOP165 (and possibly the
Moving Magnetic Features study, if regular EIT observations were
expected). Earliest possible bakeout would be September 25 - 30, so
only a few days of conflict are possible at worst. Most likely dates
for bakeout are September 26 - October 2.
NOTE: Mandy Hagenaar and Dipankar Banerjee are coordinating JOP165 and
Mandy's study, by selecting same targets and harmonising the
MDI will support JOP165 with Magnetic observations from 7-10 Sept.
After 10 Sept, MDI will do FD Doppler and some other variable which is
negotiable based on JOP165 requests, Mandy's requests and other
scientific goals requested by the SOI team. After 22 Sept, we cannot
guarantee JOP support as we do not know how much high rate we will get
on a daily basis. Before AND after the keyhole periods, regardless of
the second variable chosen, MDI will NOT change that second variable
during that period (ie. expect to get FD Doppler and the second
variable the entire duration of time).
CDS will support JOP165 and EIT shutterless.
TRACE is supporting JOP165 Sep 7-17, then supporting Mandy's study.
* Oct 17-23 JOP155 Polar Coronal Jets, CDS/UVCS/LASCO/EIT/TRACE,
POC: Danuta Dobrzycka & Kuen Ko
EIT would appreciate input from UVCS at least two days before any
requested EIT non-195 Å observations (presumably, 171 Å or 304 Å).
Danuta will contact instrument teams soon to set up the observations.
* Oct 20-30 JOP157 Bright Points in Active Regions (TBC),
TRACE(8-17 UT after Oct 23)/THEMIS, POC: Brigitte Schmieder
CDS wonders if they will be requested to support it?
The request for TRACE support for JOP157 came after the request for
JOP155, so JOP155 has precedence for TRACE during the overlap days,
October 20-23. TRACE prefers targets for at least a full day, so we
hope JOPs155 and 157 will communicate to remove the overlap from our
* Late Nov EIT Calibration Rocket (TBC), POC: Jeff Newmark
Since TRACE will be in eclipse season in November, they ask that the
rocket flight happen during TRACE daylight. TRACE has a 90-minute
orbit; predictions for eclipse times will be available about 2-3 weeks
ahead of time.
* JOP159 CME's in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS,
POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
Targets of opportunity for the whole period:
* JOP136/MMOP009 Default RHESSI collaboration (#6850)
* JOP153/MMOP003 Major Flare Watch (#6970)
Campaign number 6850 is for "individual instrument studies" selecting
an AR target [partially] influenced by the Max Millennium target.
This target will be observed by a significant number of ground based
observatories, so chances for serendipitous co-observations are good.
b) Intercalibration activities
Last Intercal 1: August 13 (Week 33)
W Sep 10 ICAL01 (TBC w/DSN), CDS/EIT, POC: CDS Planner
EIT and CDS suggest Wednesday, September 10, assuming the DSN schedule
c) Individual instrument plans
See section 1 (boundary conditions) for MDI continuous contact periods.
All requests for MDI support need to be made several months ahead of
time and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MDI's REQUEST page is at http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/coordination.txt
NOTE: Listing of a study on that page means *only* that a request has
been received, not that it will necessarily be supported.
MDI has also recieved a request from Craig DeForest at SWRI for HR
magnetic/doppler observations late in November, in conjunction with
NSO to test a "high-time-resolution magnetograph". Timing and exact
support are TBD, more details coming from Craig. Tentatively
speaking, MDI will try to support the study AFTER and only after 23
Nov and if DSN permits.
See their planning page (below) and the SOHO calendar for weekly plans.
The following are listed because of NRT requirements or as candidates
for collaboration (with e.g. CDS):
* Aug 21-24,26 UVCS Streamer Study
* Aug 25 UVCS Alpha Leo Star Observations
* Aug 27-28 UVCS Rho Leo Star Observations
* Aug 30-Sep 7 UVCS Observations of South Coronal Hole
* Sep 15-21 UVCS Observations of the North Polar Coronal Hole
* Sep 22-28 UVCS Streamer Study
* Sep 29-Oct 5 UVCS Observations of South Coronal Hole
See their request diary for details
CDS will consider joining UVCS in coronal hole & streamer studies,
when UVCS observes at 1.7Rsun and includes some coronal
lines. An advance summary of UVCS positions & lines would help.
See section 1 (boundary conditions) for EIT bakeouts/shutterless and
other special items.
LASCO has been requested to support IPS measurements of slow solar
wind between September 26-October 5. An EIT bakeout has been sheduled
for September 26-30, giving LASCO higher cadence.
NOTE: There's a potential conflict with JOP165 (and possibly the Moving
Magnetic Features study, if regular EIT observations were expected).
From IPS lead observer:
The dates of our campaign as we see them at the moment are 5th September
to 5th October, with a break (for an EISCAT common program) currently
scheduled for 22nd to 26th September. Between 27th September and 5th
October we have a good radio source lying within the LASCO C3 field of
view and so would like C3 in high cadence mode for at least some of this
time if at all possible.
August 21-27 Alpha-Leo and rho-Leo observations, JOP169
NOTE that TRACE in general reserves the right to withdraw support from
agreed, existing collaborations if a sufficiently "good active region"
is called by the Max Millennium group.
* Next SPWG: Friday September 26, right after weekly meeting in the EOF.
* The Time Correlation File problem (it hasn't updated since 1998) is
now being worked on by the ECS software support group (finally!).
The estimated time for completion is about 4 weeks.
* Commanding issues: NRT versus background queue.
We would still like inputs from teams whether they could use the
background queue (8x faster upload than NRT, but some overhead in
processing - which could be done prior to a pass, of course) for
large loads (e.g. taking more than 15-20 minutes of NRT).
MDI has very good experiences with big loads on the background queue.
LASCO/EIT will not be able to use the background queue due to technical
limitations relating to the electronics box.
CDS and UVCS are still investigating.
* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance. Keep
this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.
* If anyone has projects that require high-cadence MDI support, now is
a good time to ask! If you need MDI data, make sure you request it
specifically. There is no significant change in the shutter
performance over the last 10 months; monitoring continues, but no
immediate changes in operations are planned.
* Commanding outlook
These times are subject to change. More details are available if
Week 35 - Aug 25 - Aug 31: Good commanding all week except for
Friday and Sunday mornings when we have
downlink only stations. DSS-27 Monday
and Wednesday afternoons. Early morning
gaps most days.
Week 36 - Sep 01 - Sep 07: Early morning gaps every day but Sunday and
an afternoon gap on Wednesday. DSS-27 pass
on Saturday until 19:15 UT.
Week 37 - Sep 08 - Sep 14: Early morning gap most days and an afternoon
gap on Wednesday. Good commanding on DSS-16
Tuesday, Friday and weekend. Downlink only
after 23:45 UT Sunday.
Week 38 - Sep 15 - Sep 21: Downlink only at 17:30 UT Monday. DSS-27
in the afternoon on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
and Thursday and after 15 UT on Sunday. Good
commanding Friday and Saturday.
Week 39 - Sep 22 - Sep 28: Mostly downlink/uplink pairs all week.
Friday just 2 hours NRT after SVM time.
DSS-27 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
Gap at 15:30-23:45 UT Saturday.
Week 40 - Sep 29 - Oct 05: Lots of downlink/uplink pairs and gaps all week.
Monday NRT before SVM and after 23:30 UT.
NO UPLINK SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY. The rest of the
week has limited NRT usually just before or after
SVM time and sometimes more later in the day.
DSS-27 is on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
* For estimated keyhole dates through 2006 follow this link