SOHO SPWG Minutes
SPWG November 19, 1999 Meeting Minutes
1. Review of action items
* Action on: N. Gopalswamy Closed
Submit new JOP to SOCs: Microwave Enhancement in Coronal Holes
2. JOPs status
* Intercalibration 1
* JOP017: Dynamics of Arch Filament Systems
* JOP107: Lyman lines series in prominences and Lyman continua
[JOP017/107 versions ran during last MEDOC Campaign]
Changes reflecting current modes of observation were acknowledged.
Auxiliary information currently attached to JOP017/107 will be moved
to the Campaign database and/or auxiliary files under the JOPs web
* JOP114: Pre-Eruptive Filament Structures
- OK for now, possible MDI participation to be specified
* JOP115: Search for UV Signatures Corresponding to Microwave
Enhancement in Coronal Holes
- OK for now, MDI portion to be clarified
* JOP116: Filament Doppler Shifts at Multiple Temperatures
3. Boundary conditions
- Upcoming Maneuvers
* February 23, 2000 -- Momentum management scheduled on or before.
Momentum Managements will most likely occur with 3-4 months interval
in the future, though the scheduling is more flexible now that no
DSN hot backup is required.
- MDI Continuous
* December 8-13, 1999 -- MDI 5-day Continuous
4. Priorities for the coming month
a) Joint observing plans
* November 29 - December 12, 1999
JOP112: Coordinated SOHO-Ulysses Elemental Abundance Study
JOP102: Structure of Coronal Holes with Plumes
SUMER,CDS will plan from MEDOC for their participation
Contact: G. Poletto (EOF)
* December 9, 1999:
FLARE GENESIS experiment, borne by a balloon around Antartica for
2-3 weeks, Max Millenium Project. Contact: Brigitte Schmieder
As of Monday November 22, this is SOHO JOP117.
b) Individual instrument plans
MDI - Flare Watch/Time-Distance
CDS - AR studies/Sunspot studies/Loops on limb
December 25 - January 2: X-mas studies (possibly in MDI HiRes)
EIT - CME Watch starting December 10
SUMER - SOHO-Ulysses Quadrature/MEDOC.
UVCS - JOP112 (2weeks)
Instrument characteristics (1week)
CME Watch (1week)
Global survey of the extended solar corona (1 week)
LASCO - December 20-25, 1999 -- Milky Way Observations.
TRACE: Continuous 4-panel mosaic East limb study (22 Nov - 6 Dec)
c) Intercalibration activities
* December 15, Intercal 001, CDS/EIT
5. Preview of future months
* MDI Continuous
- January 13, 1410 UT - January 18, 0850 UT
- February 10, 1140 UT - February 15, 0750 UT
- May, 3-month continuous (TBC)
* Imager for Magnetopause-to-Aurora Global Exploration (IMAGE)
- Launch scheduled February 15, 2000. Continuous coverage for
39 days from launch.
* For latest updates, see the Monthly Calendar at:
* Discussion based on input from SWT 29 on the content of
the daily, weekly & SPWG meetings. Some points were:
- The extent to which SPWGs should be driven by fixed input from
individual instruments versus meeting discussions.
- The SPWG does fulfill its purpose in coordinating joint observations
and sharing information on individual instrument plans.
- It would be nice if JOP [co-]authors could be present at
SPWG meetings to give a brief introduction of the JOP.
- Once again, we encourage people to volunteer as Science Operation
Leaders. None of the meeting participants volunteered; we decided to
invite someone in partcular. Invitation is sent.
* Next SPWG: Monday, December 20. Time TBD.
* REMINDER: DSN support should be requested at least
6 months in advance. Keep this in mind for: ground-based collaborations
that require MDI support, stellar observations that require NRT, etc.
* REMINDER: Submissions to email@example.com are most
welcome to enable coordination with other instruments, spacecraft
or ground based observatories.