SOHO SPWG Minutes
Friday, October 20, 2000
1. Review of action items
* New items
1) On A. Gabriel/A. Kosovichev: CDS part for JOP134 to be defined
* From previous SPWG:
1) On Jeff Newmark/JOP131 authors: Determine final program for EIT
2) On Klaus Wilhelm/JOP130 authors: Modify pointing to accommodate SUMER
3) On Kuen Ko/JOP130 authors: Work out alternative to UVCS employing
an offset pointing.
-- Closed: Drop offset pointing observations.
4) On SOCs: Determine EIT program for revised JOP124
5) On JOP133 authors: Determine whether archival data can be used.
-- The JOP author replied to this query:
> I have not found all the lines I wish to study so please consider my
> JOP. A part from, that I need all those lines in a protuberance
> observed at the same time. I have a CDS Study written by Dave Pike
> and it was myself who made the observation progamme for Sumer
> under the supervision of Phillipe Lemaire
2. Boundary conditions
* No maneuvers are planned for November.
* MEDOC Campaign #6, 30 October - 12 November
* MDI Continuous for November:
MDI Continuous starts November 22 at 06:50 UT
MDI Continuous Contact Ends November 28 at 01:05 UT.
Submode 6 except Oct 30 - Nov 13 (Submode 5)
and Nov 30 - Dec 19 (Submode 5)
- TRACE eclipse season starts November 8, atmospheric absorption
has already started. Simplified timelines, minimal planner involvement,
but coordination on case by case basis possible.
3. JOPs status
- JOP134 High-Resolution Study of Supergranulation:
Plasma Flows and Magnetic Field Structures, MDI/THEMIS
POC: Alexander Kosovichev
No objections. CDS may join the observations (TBD).
- JOP130 Solar Maximum Equatorial Slow Wind,
POC: Alan Gabriel
Some changes to CDS/SUMER/MDI parts, LASCO part (synoptic) added,
and "Solar conditions Contingency" part added.
UVCS offset pointing will not be performed.
- JOP132 ULYSSES/SOHO Quadrature Study, UVCS/CDS/LASCO/Ulysses,
POC: Steve Suess
CDS specifications/line list added.
4. Priorities for the coming month (weeks 44 - 48, Oct 30 - Dec 3)
a) Joint observing plans
* MEDOC JOP124 Prominence/filament Diagnostic and Oscillations (#6595)
CDS/SUMER, ~7h. Contact: Stephane Regnier (MEDOC).
* MEDOC JOP132 Ulysses-SOHO quadrature campaign, (#6590)
UVCS/Ulysses/LASCO, CDS joins in week #2 only, 0400-1800UT
Contacts: G. Poletto and S. Suess (MEDOC)
* MEDOC JOP133 Theoretical Lines Profiles of Metallic Elements
with Macroscopic Velocities, (#6600), CDS/SUMER,
MEDOC contact: Daniela Cirigliano.
* MEDOC 2nd Wk JOP130 Solar Maximum Equatorial Slow Wind, (#6605)
CDS/SUMER/UVCS/LASCO/EIT/MDI/TRACE, 18-24 UT,
POC: Ester Antonucci and Alan Gabriel, run daily Nov. 6-12
* Nov 6-Dec 8 MMOP008 Moreton/EIT Observing Campaign,
- EIT/MDI will participate on a best effort basis only.
* Nov 14-23 MDI[?]/TRACE[?]/Yohkoh/Sac.Peak collaboration(JOP w/others?),
15-24UT (Sac Peak times) POC: Ted Tarbell, Toshifumi Shimizu
MDI/TRACE participation TBD
* Nov 19-Dec 21 JOP129 The Gravitational Focusing Cone of Interstellar Helium
(#6610), POC: Eberhard Mobius (Eberhard.Moebius@unh.edu)
SOHO: CDS/SUMER/EIT/UVCS/SWAN/CELIAS SEM and PM
- No UVCS/SUMER observations on Nov 19
* Nov 21-Nov 27 JOP134 High-Resolution Supergranulation Study, (#6615),
MDI/THEMIS, 07-17 UT, POC: Emily Zamkoff
* Dec 1-18/19 SUMER operations: Oslo AR observations (with CDS), JOP129,
then possible extensions with offlimb REFSPECS (w/UVCS)
super-refspec on both detectors. Then door closed.
POC: Dietmar Germerott, Enrico Landi
b) Individual instrument plans
* Oct 25-Nov 2 Simultaneous Observations of Multi-Loop Systems, (#6580)
CDS/Tenerife VTT, 10-17UT, POC:Gerhard Rank (email@example.com)
* Nov 20-26 CDS Flare interrupt studies, POC: E. Landi/A. Fludra
* Nov 27-Dec 3 CDS/SUMER Oslo Loops Study (SUMER opens door Nov 30)
POC: Terje Fredvik
* Nov 13-20 UVCS/Ulysses South Pole Magnetic Reversal
* Nov 28-Dec 3 UVCS/Ulysses South Pole Magnetic Reversal
c) Intercalibration activities
* Intercal 1, CDS/EIT
- During week 46 (Nov 13-19).
5. Preview of future months
* See the Monthly Calendar at:
* Next SPWG: Friday, November 17 at 2:00 pm in EAF
* REMINDER: DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance.
Keep this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar observations that require NRT, etc.
* Offpoint maneuver not expected this year