SOHO SPWG Minutes
SPWG FINAL MINUTES
Friday 29 April 2005
1. Boundary conditions
- SOHO is right side up until the next manoeuvre, tentatively
scheduled for June 17. Fuel estimate is about 0.041 kg.
- Scheduling windows for keyhole periods through 2005 are listed on
the SOHO calendar. For estimated keyhole dates through 2008 see
NOTE: The HGA has been moved by a fraction of a degree to eliminate
mini-keyholes, while slightly expanding the keyholes. The effect has
already been taken into account in the estimated keyhole dates.
- The TRACE Mission will not be terminated on 1 October. NASA has
decided to have a Senior Review of all Sun-Solar System missions
this fall, the outcome of which will determine the level of support
(or no support) for each mission in the future. TRACE operations
will therefore continue through at least the rest of the year,
especially through the summer observing season in the northern
- Except for Major Flare Watches, TRACE will be doing full disk
mosaics if/when EIT is not able to do synoptic sets due to keyhole
- MDI continuous contacts are listed in Section 2 a) below and on the
NOTE that the back-to-back-to-back summer keyhole, 60-day
continuous, and fall keyhole make it unlikely that MDI can support
anything between early June and late September. The exception would
be studies during the 60-day continuous requesting 1 minute cadence
- KNOWN submode dependent activities & submode changes:
* TOO JOP153/MMOP003 Future Major Flare Watch (SM5 if SUMER
observes target, SM6 otherwise)
* TOO JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (see sect. 2a), SM6
* May 4,11 EIT Shutterless #19, SM6 (see times in Section 2a)
* May 12-14 IPS Measurements, LASCO/MERLIN/EISCAT/UVCS/TRACE, SM6
* May 16 Submode change to Submode 5, 12 UT
* May 16-Jun 5 MEDOC Campaign, SM5
* Jun 4-25 26m Keyhole (Jun 09-20 34m Keyhole), SM5 or SM6(end)
* Aug 24, 31 EIT Shutterless #20, SM6, date TBC for Aug 31
* Aug 28-Sep 30 26m Keyhole (Sep 6-22 34m Keyhole), SM5 or SM6(end)
* Oct 5 Submode change to Submode 5, TBC
* Oct 6-17 Fine Scale Structures, SUMER/MDI(TBC)/CDS(TBC)/THEMIS/DOT, SM5
* Oct 17/18 Submode change to Submode 6, TBC
* Oct 19,26 EIT Shutterless #21, SM6, TBC
* Nov 1-Dec 15 SUMER Campaign, SM5, TBC
* Dec 2-22 26m Keyhole (Dec 06-17 34m Keyhole), SM5 or SM6(end)
* 06/05/01-06/06/15 SUMER Campaign
* 06/11/01-06/12/15 SUMER Campaign
NOTE: The EIT shutterless on May 11 is currently scheduled on D27.
NOTE: The October 5 - 17/18 Submode 5 period was added after the
meeting, and MAY replace the November 1 - December 15 SUMER campaign
- EIT Bakeout/Other
Bakeout expected during June keyhole, dates TBD.
- Commanding outlook:
Automatically updating, graphical weekly schedules are available at
http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/soc/dsn/. Current week is available at
See AOB section for summary of weeks 18-22.
Note: 26m keyhole starts June 4. Extra SVM activities are needed
throughout the keyhole, so schedule any NRT with SOCs.
2. Priorities for the coming month & more
a) Joint observing plans and campaigns
* 2002/02/25-- JOP136 Default RHESSI Collaborations (#6850), POC:Stein Haugan
* 2002/04/25-- JOP159 CMEs in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS,
POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
* 2003/05/13-- Default CDS Co-observations with TRACE (#6950)
* 2003/07/01-- Network-Internetwork Oscillations (#7033), EIT/TRACE,
POC: Scott McIntosh
* '04/02-'05/05 Quiescent AR Loop Diagnostics (#7019), CDS/TRACE/EIT/SUMER,
POC: Helen Mason (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Local POC: CDS Planner
* 2004/02/19-- JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb, EIT/TRACE/LASCO/UVCS,
POC: Chris St Cyr (Chris.StCyr@nasa.gov)
* 2005/01/24-- JOP153/MMOP003 Future Major Flare Watch (#8002)
Campaign #6850 is for "individual instrument studies" selecting an AR
target [partially] influenced by the Max Millennium target selection
to maximise chances of serendipitous co-observations.
EIT supports all with half/full-res 195 Å CME watch in submode 5/6,
except JOP175 getting half/full-res 304 Å CME watch in submode 5/6,
and Network-Internetwork Oscillations which is TBD by Scott McIntosh.
As long as the S/C is in submode 6, all EIT CME watch will be in full
The Quiescent AR Loop Diagnostics (#7019) will be run with CDS and
TRACE during April 25-30, likely continuing until May 6 as long as
it does not conflict with TRACE's commitment to a Sac Peak run.
* May 3-15 SPINOR Development/Moat Flows and Magnetic Features,
MDI/TRACE/Sac Peak, POC: Mandy Hagenaar (email@example.com)
MDI will support with high resolution mag/doppler/filtergrams after
the continuous contact ends.
A program has been worked out for TRACE and this campaign will not start
until May 3.
* May 4,11 EIT Shutterless #19, 17:00-19:40 UT, EIT/TRACE/MDI/CDS/SPIRIT,
POC: Maria Madjarska (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MDI can support, as long as it does not conflict with Hagenaar's
Sac Peak study above.
CDS will participate as usual. A note on pointing: CDS prefer to
point to an active region during shutterless and request that a
field of view be selected that includes an active region, if
* May 12-14 IPS Measurements, LASCO/MERLIN/EISCAT/UVCS/TRACE(TBC),
POC: Andy Breen (email@example.com), Local POC: Kevin Schenk
During the IPS study, EIT will have regular synoptics along with
half resolution 195 CME watch, given that submode 6 is available.
They will be in half resolution through the following MEDOC
* May 13-20 JOP180 Magnetic Fields and Flows to Corona/Transition Region,
EIT/TRACE/MDI/SUMER/VTT, POC: Andreas Lagg (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Local POC: Bernhard Fleck (email@example.com), TBC
Conflict with IPS Measurements and SPINOR/Moat Flows (Sac Peak) studies
above. SUMER can start supporting after submode change on May 16 (MEDOC),
we will keep the JOP180 team informed about the Sac Peak target.
* May 16 Submode change to Submode 5, 12 UT
* May 16-Jun 5 MEDOC Campaign
and the calendar link therein for details.
Address questions and problems to Karine.Bocchialini@ias.u-psud.fr and
the POCs, with copies to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UVCS will do JOP158 (POC: Lucia Abbo) May 16-25, and Ulysses-SOHO
quadrature campaign (POC: Giannina Poletto) May 26-June 8.
Note LASCO pB campaign near end of MEDOC period; EIT synoptics only.
* May 21-Jun 9 Active Region/Sunspot Study, CDS/VTT/TRACE/THEMIS, 07-14UT,
POC: Andrzej Fludra, Local POC: CDS Planner
May 25 - June 9 is the exact period of THEMIS observations. CDS may
begin a shorter sequence on May 21 to support VTT if needed, TRACE
has been requested from May 22. CDS will observe for 5-7 hours/day
within the specified interval.
* May 25-30 MDI Continuous Contact
No specific plans yet, default is Full Disk Magnetograms and Dopplergrams.
* May 26-Jun 8 Ulysses Quadrature, UVCS/Ulysses/SUMER
SUMER support from June 1-3, then closing door.
* May 28-Jun 5 LASCO Extra pBs for 3D CME Study, EIT synoptic only, dates TBC
NOTE: Only synoptic sets from EIT while this study is running.
* Jun 5-25 26m Keyhole (Jun 09-20 34m Keyhole)
* Jun 25-Aug 28 MDI 60 Day Continuous Contact
The plan is Full Disk Magnetograms and Dopplergrams. We will need
to do at least one calibration and a tuning adjustment before the 60
Day CC starts. It's possible we will do an exposure update also, in
which case, we need to do two calibrations (one before and one
after). So, plan on having some MDI engineering activities planned
as soon as possible before June 25. NRT and several hours of VC2
will be required.
Note: We are working on extra support from ESA's New Norcia station to
ensure a more continuous campaign.
* Jun 29-Jul 6 Moat Flows and Magnetic Features, MDI/TRACE/Sac Peak,
POC: Mandy Hagenaar (email@example.com), TBC
NOTE: Added after meeting.
* Jul 3-14 Fine Magnetic Structures/Coronal Heating,
EIT has not had any special request, and assumes that 195 Å CME watch
With the involvement of 3 GBOs and 4 space based instruments, Joe
Gurman would like to see a JOP description before offering support.
This would also require a local coordinator (deputy JOP leader).
MDI will support with Full Disk Magnetograms and Dopplergrams.
* Jul 4 Comet 9P/Tempel, SWAN/Deep Impact,
* Jul 20 Sounding Rocket Launch, MOSES/CDS/EIT/TRACE, ~18 UT,
POC: Charles Kankelborg, TBC
NOTE: EUNIS launch previously scheduled for same day will be delayed
at least a month.
This study is during the continuous contact, so we will not be in
record during the launch. A second downlink station has been
requested (but is far from guaranteed) for 16-18 UT.
LATEST: We have a second downlink station from 16:30-20:10 UT.
CDS is awaiting details of the required support.
EIT will support as asked, but haven't been asked --- do they want
more than previous day's full-res, full-disk images for pointing?
Teams have been asked to provide input.
* Aug 13-24 JOP157 Bright points in ARs, CDS/EIT/MDI/TRACE(TBC)/THEMIS/VTT,
POC: Etienne.Pariat@obspm.fr, TBC
NOTE: Dates changed after March SPWG - email from Etienne on March 30.
EIT will support with 195 CME Watch.
MDI supports with 1 minute Full Disk Magnetograms and Dopplergrams.
CDS support has been confirmed.
Appears on TRACE calendar, but as a conflit with an SST/SUMER
coordination August 17 - 20.
* Aug 17-20 Spicule Study, TRACE/SST, POC: Jay.M.Pasachoff@williams.edu
* Aug 24, 31 EIT Shutterless #20, date TBC for Aug 31
* Aug 30-Sep 29 26m Keyhole (Sep 6-22 34m Keyhole)
* Sep 1-10 Wave Propagation from Photosphere to Corona, MDI/SST/DOT/TRACE,
POC: Bart DePontieu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MDI will try to collaborate as much as DSN allows and as long as
this study doesn't conflict with JOP178 (they might actually have
overlapping observations at certain times). Request for HR
Mag/Doppler/Filtergrams or FD Mags/Doppler.
* Sep 7-21 JOP178 Filament and its Environment, MDI/CDS/EIT/TRACE/GBOs,
POC: Thierry Roudier (email@example.com), TBC
EIT supports with 195 Å CME Watch plus TBD 304 Å observations if not
in bakeout or otherwise prevented by keyhole.
MDI will try to collaborate as much as DSN allows with HR or FD
TRACE will join on September 11 (when Bart DePontieu's study is
* Sep 22-28 Filament Observations, CDS/EIT/THEMIS,
POC: Guillaume.Pouget@ias.u-psud.fr, TBC
Added after meeting:
* Sep 23-Oct 17 Magnetic Elements and Waves in the Chromosphere,
MDI/TRACE(TBC)/SST, POC: Mats.Carlsson@astro.uio.no
b) Intercalibration activities
Last Intercal 1: April 6
* Week 18/19 ICAL01 (#7113), CDS/EIT
c) Individual instrument plans
See section 2a for MDI continuous contact periods.
MDI may reduce the ALT cadence during Keyholes to be less than 15 ALT
magnetograms per day if the lack of high rate telemetry is such that
we will lose all or almost all of the 15 ALT Magnetograms each day.
The ALT cadence will be decided on an individual Keyhole basis and
even a daily basis during each Keyhole depending on the 70m antenna
availability at the time.
All requests for MDI support need to be made several months ahead of
time and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Even outside keyholes,
MDI can only do 1-minute cadence observations when we have contact and
there is no recorder dump in progress.
MDI's REQUEST page is at
http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/coordination.txt NOTE: Listing of a
study on that page means *only* that a request has been received, not
that it will necessarily be supported.
A description of MDI Observing Modes most used for JOPs and campaigns
(FD vs. HR) can be found at http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/Collaborate.
Anyone requesting MDI observations is encouraged to read this page in
order to have a better idea of what observing modes would be best suited
for a particular study. More detailed information about how MDI
operates, observational constraints and telemetry information can be
found at http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/MDI_Collaboration_Details.
For weekly plans, see the SOHO calendar and the UVCS planning page:
The following are listed because of NRT requirements or as candidates
for collaboration (with e.g. CDS):
* May 8 -May 11 UVCS Observations of a North Polar Coronal Hole
See their request diary for details:
The MEDOC operations from May 16 - June 5 will primarily observe
with det A, cf. MEDOC web page. We consider to have only a
mini-campaign in the first wek of October (cf Fine Scale Structures
study in Section 1) and no ops in November, still TBC.
The TRACE Mission will not be terminated on 1 October. NASA has
decided to have a Senior Review of all operating missions this Fall,
the outcome of which will determine the level of support (or no
support) for each mission in the future. TRACE operations will
therefore continue through at least the rest of the year, especially
through the summer observing season in the northern hemisphere.
NOTE that TRACE in general reserves the right to withdraw support from
agreed, existing collaborations if a sufficiently "good active region"
is called by the Max Millennium group.
* Next SPWG: Friday 20 May, right after weekly meeting in the EOF.
The rest are FYI items:
* If anyone has projects that require high rate (i.e. 1 minute
cadence) MDI support, now is a good time to ask! If you need MDI
data, make sure you request it specifically. There is no significant
change in the shutter performance over the last 10 months;
monitoring continues, but no immediate changes in operations are
* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance. Keep
this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.
* Commanding outlook:
Week 19 (May 9-15): D27 on Monday.
Week 20 (May 16-22): D27 on Monday, Wednesday, part of Thursday.
Week 21 (May 23-29): D27 on Monday, part of Wednesday, Sunday.
Week 22 (May 30-Jun 5): D27 on Monday, Wednesday. Daytime gaps
on Tuesday, Sunday.