SOHO is made up of two modules. The Service Module forms the lower portion of the spacecraft and provides power, thermal control, pointing and telecommunications for the whole spacecraft and support for the solar panels. The Payload Module sits above it and houses all the scientific instruments.
Check-out the spacecraft gallery page.
SOHO key parameters
- Dimensions (height, breadth, width): 4.3 x 2.7 x 3.7 m
- Width with solar array deployed: 9.5 m
- Total mass at launch: 1850 kg
- Payload: 610 kg
- Telemetry during real-time operation: 200 Kbits/s
- Telemetry during on-board storage mode: 40 Kbits/s